Friday, March 29, 2024

The Day I Met Him

When I was studying in Class-6 at Mount Hermon School, Darjeeling my father was transferred to Presidency College. Our Principal then was Mr. Graeme Murray. He was kind enough to write two letters of recommendation that would help in my admission at St. Thomas' Boys' School, Kidderpore or Calcutta Boys' School.

I still remember what my father had said after our visit to CBS. During the course of his conversation he had asked the Principal, Mr. Clifford Hicks, what is the school uniform. He looked at me and told him that I can come to school the way I was dressed that day. There's nothing to worry about. CBS doesn't have a school uniform.
I was blessed to be admitted to CBS. But there were more surprises in store. Coming from the only coeducational school in Darj with the best campus and being very expensive it was most surprising to note that CBS didn't have any tuition fees and the books came free.
Anyway the standard of the school, quality of teaching, the students and everything I encountered was way beyond me. When the results for the Second Term was declared Mr. Hicks had written this in my report card. Promotion is very doubtful.
I just remembered that day and wanted to share it with you.
p.s. I was promoted.

No comments: