Friday, March 15, 2024

Life's Lessons - What We Have Learnt from Mr. Hicks

I am what I am is for this institution (read - Calcutta Boys' School/ CBS). These were my first words when I met the Principal of CBS sometime back. 

I am what I am is for Mr. Clifford Hicks. The respected Principal of CBS, when I studied there, who has made CBS what it is. 

There are a lot of memories of CBS during my formative years. I want to share one such today. 

I was studying in Class-10 then if my memory serves me right. The teacher who was supposed to conduct the class had not come till then. Our classroom was just above the office overlooking the ground. The students sitting close to the window found out that a few girls had come to the office and were waiting outside just beneath the window. To have a good view they went to the window to see telling the others to watch the exit lest they get discovered. But boys will always be boys. Gradually one by one many went to the window. The place became so overcrowded after some time, with some toppling over others, there wasn't anyone left to keep an eye on the exit. 

After the show was over and enjoying every moment of it when we started coming back to our seats we found to our horror that the teacher has come to class. And was sitting in his chair. 

The matter was reported by him to Mr. Hicks. The period was just before lunch. Mr. Hicks decided to teach us a lesson to remember for a lifetime. 

He asked all of us to kneel down in front of the classrooms of middle school, that is the junior section (read - Classes-5 to 8) during the entire lunch time for all to see. There is a big room the boundaries of which comprised those classrooms. 

Even after almost close to fifty years I haven't forgotten the lesson I learnt that day. I would like to thank Mr. Hicks for doing what he did that day. A thing I still remember.

No comments: